Monday, September 8, 2008

The Tortoise and the Hare

I mostly agree with the opinions of everyone so far, but there are a few things I would like to add. I believe that the biggest global environmental problems we face today are both consumption and a tragic sense of short-sightedness. Consumption, of course, is the real-kicker - without those plain facts, the world would not be the environmental mess it is today (and, as it happens, we may all have to live more like the Bangladeshis). Perhaps more importantly, though, is consumption's accompaniment: a selfish and incredibly abbreviated view of life and the world in which we live. Therefore, I agree with the general assumptions of both posters that some of the most frustrating situations are when more educated people refuse to walk the walk, but I also think that the indifference of the masses is important to consider, and that an incredible lack of will is the key resource that's needed to turn things around.

I will expand upon my views by both referring to Fish's article and by citing some of my own experiences. First, I must admit that Fish's article did strike a certain chord with me. I am one of the most environmentally conscious people that I know, but at the end of the day, it's still hard for me to give things up. For example, I'm religious about recycling (espousing a different attitude than Mr. Fish on this point), using energy-efficient appliances and in a conservationist manner, and taking the metro a large chunk of the time. However, I still have a car in DC (I'm increasingly questioning the wisdom of this decision), I drive when I'm at home and I take longer and hotter showers on a daily basis, to name a few. Essentially, I'm not perfect, but I am cognizant of my actions and the effects that they have on the planet. Although I'm not proud of these characteristics by any means, if the majority of Americans (and of people in general) can get to this point, it would be a major step in the right direction (which is why the uninformed still make me very upset). As they say, the first step towards recovery is admitting one has a problem.

However, the fact remains that a dichotomy exists between my beliefs and practices. Although part of this divide must be bridged by increasingly advanced technology, a large chunk of it involves will power (which strays slightly from what Brett mentioned). This frustrates me to no end in myself, let alone in other individuals. As to how to ameliorate these tendencies, is the answer to make people care more? Take away certain resources? Legislate activities? I believe in the end it will consist of a combination of these possibilities, but any sort of agreement would be virtually impossible to pass and/or enforce in any one country (especially the U.S.), let alone any sort of world organization (like the U.N.).

I spent the last year living in Beijing, and let me tell you, the environmental problems there are absolutely real and devastating. Air quality is abysmal, water quality is non-existent and visibility is perpetually low due to horrendous smog. A rapidly growing number of non-smoking non-mine working Beijing inhabitants per year are contracting lung cancer, which is a phenomenon previously unheard of. )At times I actually felt as if I were succumbing to this disease.) However, when all was said and done, I must admit that I sometimes do feel more agitated in this country when it comes to the environment debate. In China, everyone knew the environment was a problem, and while there weren't necessarily huge efforts being done by ordinary citizens to improve the situation, people sacrificed and lived with little (whether it be because the government made them or their finances made them or they personally cared or all three). In the U.S., every time I look at the news I look for news coverage about global warming and signs that America cares, and very rarely am I satisfied. I look around me on a daily basis and watch random people littering the street, hundreds of individuals driving SUVs and lights and appliances being routinely left on. All of these activities occur without the slightest evidence that the perpetrators actually give a damn. In a way, then, to me, the roots of the environmental problems here are greater than in China, despite what current physical conditions may indicate.

A lot of times I wonder, what's it going to take to get people to wake up and smell the coffee? What will it take to convince people that trends are nose-diving in the wrong direction and may completely splat before too long if they aren't altered? Whether it be people that don't know, or people that don't know and don't care, or both, this kind of behavior angers me to no end and leaves me feeling upset over my shortcomings and striving to change my everyday life, if but just a little. I'm also perpetually trying to convince my parents/friends that they shouldn't drive this car or that they shouldn't buy bottled water, etc. As cliche as this might sound, I really do hope that people will learn to appreciate what they currently have (or learn to cut back, as in the case of most U.S. citizens) and conserve accordingly before all is truly lost. After all, who would everyone rather be in the end, the tortoise, who achieves convenience and happiness slowly but surely and in a conservationist manner, or the hare, who demands more right now and ends up peetering out before the end of the race? It'll be interesting to see what humanity eventually chooses.

No comments: