Monday, November 17, 2008

Cradle to Cradle

I really applaud McDonough and Braungart's vision because it is so holistic and healthy. Not to be melodramatic, but I've actually never heard anything proposed that is so revolutionary.

It does give me hope that we can experience real change, but at the same time it seems to be trying to accomplish too much at once. Don't get me wrong, I think that drastic change is needed, and soon, to reverse the cycle of environmental degradation. However, I'm wondering if they could speak more about gradually implementing these changes so as to get everyone involved on board and not to, "shock the system." I personally believe that the system must be shocked, but I think that, unfortunately, society is too entrenched in its own industrial and manufacturing ways, and this fixation makes change very hard to come by.

I think that this spirit of holistic change must come from the bottom-up and from the top-down. Local communities should get on board and make positive examples of themselves, which will hopefully spur meaningful policy reform from government. I hope that these practical and logistical considerations will be addressed later on in the book.

Maybe my cynicism is showing here. But I do think these kinds of fundamental changes are possible and that we should definitely reach for the stars when conceptualizing these goals. I just know that, usually, change comes slowly, which is why incremental goals must be set and met.

No comments: