Sunday, November 30, 2008

So I figured the perfect candidate to have an environmental discussion with would be my most recent ex-boyfriend. An ultra-conservative, super Christian, staunch republican military guy with a lot to say regarding environmental politics.

I asked Alan what he felt the most important environmental issue was today and without hesitation he answered: "Nuclear Energy". Now it's been obvious in class that I am absolutely, positively, one hundred percent against nuclear energy. I hate the stuff and it actually drives me crazy when people see it as a solution to many of today's problems. But according to Alan, "We need to develop nuclear energy so we can provide renewable energy to our homes and businesses." I told Alan that my main problem with nuclear waste was that right now it doesn't really fit into any sort of reusable cycle. . . and this is where the conversation got interesting.

"If I gotta store nuclear waste 10 drums high out in the middle of Iowa, as long as it isn't creating radiation or toxic effects of other kinds, I don't really care."

So I asked Alan if he'd dump factory runoff into the ocean, to which he quickly responded "Ew, gross, hell no!"
And then I asked him how that's different from dumping nuclear waste into a mountain or into a hole in a ground.

And this is where Alan tried to convince me that what we need to do is spend time developing technology that ensures the waste won't leak and quite frankly if we could bury it a hundred feet into the bottom of the land bed he wouldn't care.
I, on the other hand, thought if nuclear waste was really something our country should consider over wind or solar power, then we shouldn't waste time trying to displace the waste, but recycle it instead.

So Alan says "If private citizens wanna do stuff I don't really care."
Alan doesn't really care. He just wants his power and will close his eyes to the possible consequences if it doesn't affect him.

What I couldn't figure out is why Alan felt this land in the middle of Iowa is useless just because it isn't being "used". We, humans, haven't found any "use" for it, so therefore it makes perfect sense to dump all of our nuclear woes on Iowa's shoulders. Forget what effects this could have on the ecosystem. . . WE COULD USE THE LAND!


Clearly, things with me and Alan could never, ever work out.

No comments: