Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Conversation About the Environment

So I didn't get to spend too much time at home, but when I did, I brought up the environment quite a few times, and I actually referenced a lot of what we've talked about in class, like the "Cradle to Cradle" paradigm, the "Trinity of Despair," etc. Most people in my family and circle of friends, as I suspected, agree with the majority of my environmental views. They believe that we are facing an environmental crisis, that many things have to be done quickly on various fronts to prevent the worst of the damage and that the Bush administration has been a complete abomination when it comes to environmental policy making (and when it comes to most other issues as well). I feel lucky to be surrounded by environmentally conscious people.

There were a few instances, though, where someone didn't quite agree with a specific point or action. For instance, when I was talking about drastically enhancing public transportation to wean the U.S. off of our car fix, my sister said something to the effect of, "but we're so spread out and we live in cars." I told her that I thought this was unnecessarily defeatist and that we can work on revamping the auto industries at the same time, to tackle the problem from two angles. After that the pie was served so our conversation inadvertently kind of ended there...

Also, throughout the weekend I made it a point to remind my mom to turn out the lights and unplug her appliances. Although it was kind of nagging, I tried to explain to her why this is important to remember. (I still think its worthwhile for us to do the simple stuff when we can.) She is environmentally aware at heart and she was receptive to these suggestions.

So basically, since I didn't really have the opportunity to get into any sort of friendly debate/exchange with someone who drastically disagreed with me, I thought of people that I know who don't believe in global warming. My dad's best friend doesn't, and, although I didn't see him over the break, I can imagine how our conversation would go. He apparently doesn't believe in global warming because, as he says, "God promised that He wouldn't flood the earth twice." I think this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard - not because of the religious connotations (I consider myself spiritual/religious and I believe in God), but more because I think it's completely impractical. I obviously wouldn't say this to him, though - I'd say, "You know, I'm sure that God wants us to be good stewards of the land as well so that we can be more at peace with the world. Also, a better environment improves human relationships as well. To be good stewards means that we should not only recycle, but also campaign for policy changes, support homegrown food, take the metro, etc." Maybe I'll subtly broach the subject over winter break...

I love to talk about this stuff and I'll continue these types of discussions when I'm home again in two weeks and also while I'm in Thailand. (That is, if the protesters ever allow the airport to open again...)

No comments: